How to Make Your Hair Grow Longer
- Hiiyaa this article is more of what I know worked for me than your typical how to grow your hair longer.
- I will be sharing things I used to do when my hair was relaxed and now 4 years into my natural hair journey, things I still do and things I am sure you should be doing .
- Now before I start I will tell you this, the effort you put into making your hair grow longer will determine if your hair actually grows longer, well most times. There are a few people in this world that really don’t put effort into their hair and it just seems to grow still like wildfire.
- Your hair probably won’t grow thick and healthy and you may end up with split ends no matter how good your genes are if you don’t at least take out time to wash condition and moisturize it monthly.
In the end we all end up putting in some effort whether we like to admit it or not.
MASSAGE YOUR HAIR
WITH OILS LIKE
1. Olive oil
2. Peppermint oil
3. Castor oil Jamaican black
4. Coconut oil
5. Tea tree oil
6. Avocado oil
7. Vitamin E oil
8. Shea butter
9. Amla oil
10. Henna oil
11. Almond oil
12. Argan oil
13 Jojoba oil
14. Ginger oil
15. Rosemary oil
HOW TO USE
- Using an applicator bottle like this will help the oil/oils to really get into your scalp but if you do not have one your fingers will still do the trick
- A scalp massager : a lot of people overlook this and this is one of the most effective ways to stimulate your hair follicles and make your hair grow longer. If you do not have one I recommend you purchase this.
- Hot oil treatment: heating up the oils before application will help to increase blood circulation on your scalp and promote rapid growth. Wash your hair before applying a hot oil treatment to it so
your hair can benefit the most from it.
- I heard about this method about 7 years ago, when I was really obsessed with making my hair grow longer and I can say this is one very effective method.
- It involves putting oil or a mixture of oils (like the ones I mentioned) on your fingertips then massaging it into your hair while your head is upside down.
- If you stand and flip your head upside down it should be fine or you can sit and bend your head down but almost to a level of where your knees are. You do not necessarily have to use an oil or oils if you do not want to but it is important to flip your hair and massage . this will help blood rush into your scalp and stimulate your hair follicilies which will increase your hair growth. Also this method should be done once every month for like 5 minutes. If not your scalp will get used to this trick and it won’t be effective.
SHAMPOO AND CONDITIONER
- Your shampoo or conditioner should contain one of the following (for hair growth)
- Peppermint or mint oil or menthol
- Amino acids (protein enhancers)
- Pyrithione zinc
WHAT YOUR HAIR PRODUCTS SHOULD NOT CONTAIN
- Look for shampoos that do not contain ammonium lauryl sulfate, sodium lauryl sulfate or sodium laureth sulfate.
- Look for a conditioner that does not contain dimethicone.
CO-WASH AND NO-POO
- There’s this new thing called no poo and co wash it may not be new per say because people have been doing this for centuries .This may sound unusual but instead of shampooing your hair twice or thrice a month try and shampoo your hair once a month (no poo) and instead washing it with a conditioner or if you must feel like you need to shampoo it you can use apple cider vinegar or baking soda. For some people they do a wider stretch of not even using a shampoo for up to 6 months and they claim it helps their hair but it’s all up to you.
YOUR DIET CONTRIBUTES A WHOLE TO THE GROWTH OF YOUR HAIR
For hair growth your diet should be rich in :
3. Nuts. Nuts such as almonds, walnuts, and pecans are a great source of biotin, a vitamin known to help promote hair growth. …
4. Oysters. …
5. Eggs. …
6. Salmon. …
7. Chia and Flax Seeds. …
8. Sweet Potatoes. …
10.Biotin supplements !!!!!!!!!( I am putting exclamation marks on it because if you want your hair to grow longer go out and get this). This was one of the game changers for me. Biotin makes your hair grow super long and super-fast too. The only con is it causes breakouts in some people. So do your research on the kind of skin you have before you use it but ultimately this is a good one.
11. Collagen supplements/ pills are also helpful for hair growth because collagen is an amino acid that promotes new cell growth.
I personally like to make masks with some of these ingredients. I am about to mention because sometimes the oil masks/treatments clog the pores on my forehead and make me break out but this is just a personal problem and it does not always happen. Nevertheless masks with one of these ingredients will really help to boost hair growth.
1. Fenugreek seeds
2. Palm oil (this doesn’t cause breakouts)
6. Aloe vera
11. Rice water
12. Apple cider vinegar
Read more: How to use hair mask
ADD MOISTURE TO YOUR HAIR AND CUT DOWN ON HEAT PRODUCTS
Excessive blow-drying, straightening with a flat iron and curling your hair can cause serious hair damage.
- Try air drying your hair once in a while or to be honest cut out heat except it is very necessary. Personally I am very sure I haven’t used any heat products on my hair in about 4 years. I wash my hair at night and let it air dry throughout the night while wearing my silk/satin bonnet.
- Also if you live in the tropic regions of the world it is important you moisten your hair at least once or twice a day, your hair needs moisture!!!!!.
- You can make a simple hair mist with warm water and any conditioner and oils of your choice and put it in a little spray bottle and carry it in your bag or put it somewhere easily accessible and spritz it on your hair when you feel it is a bit dry. Your hair will thank you.
- Sleeping for 6 to8 hours a day will help your hair grow because your body will be rested and not stressed.
- Swapping your regular cotton pillowcase for a satin pillowcase and wearing a silk/satin bonnet to sleep can really help with hair growth because they draw out less moisture from your hair than cotton, you will wake up with your hair feeling on cloud nine and still very moisturized which is important for hair growth, did I also mention satin/silk pillowcases are amazing for your face 😊well yeah.
WEAR PROTECTIVE STYLES
- I love this definition of protective styling from curl centric. She describes protective styling as “Protective styling is a concept that reduces ongoing manipulation of your hair, encourages growth retention and protects the ends of your hair strands, reducing knots and tangles” which is pretty much its use. Braids, twists out, Bantu knots, cornrows are all examples of protective styling.
- Exercise increases blood flow to all parts of the body because it requires you to move and you moving pumps blood to all the right places like your head which will stimulate the follicles in the hair.
- Last but not the least be patient with your hair, Combining three or four of these tips will definitely help grow your hair. People are different and get results differently so do not be discouraged if your hair does not grow as fast as somebody else, give it time, take care of it and love it .
- Hair typically grows one to two inches per month, these may not necessarily double the growth but you will see results and fast if you’re consistent and determined.
All my love
I just wanted to mention that I relaxed my hair in 2011 and transitioned back to natural in 2014, my hair has been natural for 4 years now and this is a picture of it. I have always been obsessed with my hair being long and these are things I have done for years on my hair.
I love getting feedback so you can send me and email firstname.lastname@example.org for suggestions, criticism or even more help my instagram is @tarabond7.
I got all my additional information on here from google and all the pictures I used from google except from the picture of me of course (haha).